Latest update 03/11/2020:
Windhaven National Insurance Company ordered into Liquidation by the 419th Judicial District Court in Travis County, Texas at the request of the Texas Department of Insurance.
The following information was authorized by the Texas Department of Insurance for release on 03/11/2020 to all policyholders of Windhaven National Insurance Company:
On March 5th, 2020 Windhaven National Insurance Company (“WinNat”) was ordered liquidated by the 419th Judicial District Court in and for Travis County, Texas. The Texas Department of Insurance (“TX Department”) is the court appointed Liquidator of Windhaven. A copy of the WinNat liquidation order is available from the TX Department’s website:
If you continue to be insured with the Windhaven National Insurance Company (also known as WinNat's Windward program with policy numbers beginning with WNW), here is the latest information and recommendations we advise taking to protect yourself immediately:
- Windhaven National Insurance Company (WNIC) policies remain in force at this time, however the carrier has been ordered liquidated and all policies will be cancelled at 12:01am on 04/04/2020 by court order unless they expire or cancel prior to that date for any reason.
- The underwriting management company for the carrier and its claim management firm are named as affiliate companies of the now defunct Windhaven National Insurance Company. Said affiliates are under the jurisdictional control of the Texas Department of Insurance as Liquidator of Windhaven National Insurance Company. This means that service on your existing policy and claims made for coverage on that policy are being handled by firms now under control of the Texas Department of Insurance.
- Contact our office immediately to replace your WinNat policy. While the policy may still be in effect until 04/04/2020, claims and all other financial responsibilities of the carrier are being handled by the liquidator of the carrier, a carrier which is no longer in operation. Claims that occur, or are currently under settlement are now on hold, until the financial status of the carrier can be determined by the liquidator. The carrier is defunct and can not pay its claims accordingly.
- Do not delay your replacement. While technically you remain insured with WNIC at this time, you may not be able to file a new claim, get service or make changes on your policy, and any claim filed may be denied or delayed indefinitely for payment. To be protected from any such delays, replace your coverage immediately and pay no further premiums to WNIC.
Windhaven Insurance Company ordered into Liquidation by the Circuit Court in Leon County, Florida at the request of the Florida Department of Financial Services.
The following information was authorized by the Florida Department of Financial Services for release on 01/06/2020 to all policyholders of Windhaven Insurance Company:
On December 12, 2019, Windhaven Insurance Company (“Windhaven”) was ordered into receivership for purposes of rehabilitation by the Second Judicial Circuit Court in and for Leon County, Florida. The Florida Department of Financial Services (“Department”) is the court appointed Receiver of Windhaven. On December 30, 2019, the Court entered an order liquidating Windhaven effective on January 6, 2020. A copy of the Windhaven liquidation order is available on the Department’s website: www.myfloridacfo.com/division/receiver/companies/windhaven/default.htm.
Here is the latest information regarding the Windhaven liquidation:
• ALL Windhaven Insurance Company policies have been cancelled effective 12:01 a.m. February 5, 2020 by Order of the Court, unless they were terminated prior to that date for any other cause. This means if you were insured with Windhaven Insurance Company and have not yet replaced coverage with another carrier, you are now uninsured.
• The Florida Insurance Guaranty Association (“FIGA”) has been activated and will pay covered unearned premium claims, after the Department completes its processing of the policy records and sends the unearned premium records to FIGA. A $100 statutory deductible will be applied to any refund due. If the amount of your refund is $100 or less, you will NOT receive a refund from FIGA.
• With the entry of the liquidation order, FIGA was also activated to pay outstanding claims for Windhaven policies. The processing and payment of pending covered claims will be made by FIGA (subject to the lesser of policy limits or FIGA’s maximum cap). It is currently not known how long claims will be delayed while FIGA and the Department of Financial Services sort out the outstanding claim obligations of Windhaven Insurance Company.
• The deadline for filing claims in the Windhaven receivership is January 6, 2021. A policyholder may file a claim in the Windhaven receivership for the $100 statutory deductible which applies to the claim payments, for amounts over the FIGA coverage cap or for other claims not covered by FIGA. Such amounts are not payable by FIGA and will become unsecured debts owed by the Windhaven Insurance Company in liquidation. At this time (and the reason for the liquidation of the carrier) it appears that the Assets of Windhaven Insurance Company are not sufficient to pay the outstanding liabilities of the carrier, so these unsecured debts may not receive payment in the future.
• Information regarding the method for filing a claim in the receivership proceeding have not yet been announced, but once the forms are created and ready for submission it will be available on the Department’s website https://www.myfloridacfo.com/division/receiver/. In addition, the receiver may attempt to contact you in the future to file any claim you may have, by sending claim forms to the address you have on file with the carrier.
If you were insured with the Windhaven Insurance Company, we recommend taking the following steps to protect yourself immediately:
- Immediately contact our office for the most up to date information available and a quote on replacement coverage. Do not delay, as coverage lapsed on 02/05/2020 and you are currently uninsured.
- Contact our office and immediately purchase replacement coverage for your Windhaven policy. We have many options for you to move your account to another insurance carrier immediately to assure that any claims that occur are paid timely and without delay. Continued operation of your vehicles without coverage subjects you to driver's license suspension, fines and penalties, and is a violation of Florida State law. Windhaven Insurance Company is being liquidated by the Florida Department of Financial Services, and the State is fully aware of who was insured with the carrier on 02/05/2020 and will move to suspend your license if replacement coverage is not purchased immediately.
- Remain in contact with our office for the latest information on the status of the liquidation proceeding, including when to file a claim with the Department of Financial Services for any funds owed to you by Windhaven Insurance Company in liquidation.